Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Communities of Learning for Educational Purposes


            As a new teacher, I feel that there is a plethora of knowledge to become acquainted with.   Within my PLN, it is helpful as a newcomer to the profession of teaching to gain numerous perspectives from veteran teachers regarding curriculum, behavior management, etc.  It is through Wenger’s theory of communities of practice that I am able to not only have these conversations with local teachers, but also teachers around the world.  The internet contains an endless supply of information at your fingertips.  As teachers, our passion for helping students is shared with millions of others, and because of the internet we can interact with those that have this same passion. 
            By accessing websites where teachers can discuss experiences, theories, and challenges, they are able to assist and learn from others who may be experiencing similar situations.  For me, this includes integrating technology into the classroom.  Being in the 21st century, students are not only learning through the media of paper and pencils.  They are exposed to the internet as well as social media every day, so why not harness this knowledge and transform it into deeper learning for students? 
As teachers, we are able to reach out to others and make use of these communities of practice to help our students become 21st century learners so that they can thrive in today’s society.  This 21st century thinking relies on the 4 C’s: critical thinking, creativity, communication, and collaboration.  Too often, teachers view technology and social media as hindrances to learning.  However, if we harness this power for good instead of evil and view it within the context of situated learning, we are more likely to engage students and foster deeper learning.  For instance, in the case of Twitter, teachers can either view this social media website as a distraction or a medium for collaboration (one of the 4 C’s).  Through this website, teachers can pose problems or facilitate group projects, and students can create their own communities of practice to work together to accomplish a common goal.
Unfortunately, however, there are always disadvantages when implementing systems such as situational learning within the classroom.  When being compared to the traditional school model, teachers need to be more extensively trained in order to be effective in fostering this deeper learning in order to give students the full context of what they are learning.  For instance, if a teacher is implementing Twitter into the classroom, they need to make sure that they are experts at this social media site in order to foster learning effectively.  Although having teachers be experts in each situated learning environment would be fantastic, it is not always practical compared to the traditional school model.
Although there are disadvantages to situated learning, I still feel that fully immersing a student in what they are learning is the best way for them to be engaged and thrive in the concepts that they are learning.  I am a strong believer in learning through experience, and this Constructivist mentality is one that I want to implement within my classroom throughout each subject and interwoven with technology.

4 comments:

  1. I think you're right that you could build a community of practice even if it is cyber-based. What's important is building that identity that is unique to a COP.

    I think the things you will learn throughout this course and how to reach out to educators are going to be instrumental for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori, I love your attitude of embracing technology, integrating it into your classroom, and using its "power" for "good instead of evil." I have to admit that I am one of those people that views twitter as being an overwhelming, disorganized, distraction. But, I have to also admit that my experience and knowledge of twitter is... well... pretty close to none. I am excited to increase my knowledge of these technological tools so that I can also use them to engage my students and inspire them to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori,
    I really like your idea about integrating technology through the 4 c's of 21st century thinking. By keeping these learning objectives clear, I think it will be easier to see how influential and powerful integrating technology into the classroom can truly be. As I try not to get overwhelmed by all of the possibilities, I am looking forward to gaining experience in the different possibilites of using technology in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your concerns with situated learning. I would like to add that in some situations, situated learning defeats the purpose of learning. Not to rant about math (I know, I get repetitive) but a great deal of math is done in the abstract, context makes it impure. I think having students think about somethings outside of context can develop their ability to remove problems from situations and deconstruct them more logically. Then again, I'm a mathematician and we're a little crazy.

    ReplyDelete