Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Fatigue

Although the title seems to speak for itself, let me elaborate.  I came home from student teaching today and was glued to the couch, mindlessly watching the Padre game.  I say "mindlessly" because my mind was anywhere but watching the Padres lose to the Cubs in a 6-2 ballgame.  I was thinking about the following: tomorrow's guided reading groups, introducing a new writing unit, tomorrow's math lesson, creating my next science lesson, action research homework, action research implementation, taking care of my dog who just had knee surgery, and last but not least, what to eat for dinner.  Needless to say I have had a lot on my mind.

Once my mom and her boyfriend got home, we went around stating how long our work day was.  My mom said "8 hours", her boyfriend said "7 hours", I had to count in my head.  11 hours!  Now don't get me wrong, I am most certainly not complaining.  I am having a firsthand experience about what it means to be a brand new teacher, and although I am having an amazing experience, I AM TIRED.  But I am most certainly looking at the silver lining:  after numerous 11 hour work days, I can still safely say that I love the teaching profession and feel that this is my calling in life.  I may be an extremely tired student teacher, but I am certainly one lucky girl!

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! Being busy all the time just helps you appreciate your down time more. I am so glad that you are my classmate and that you are teaching the youth of America. Thanks Tori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the cartoon, LOVE your humor, LOVE you! Your genuine love for your craft is what makes you a great teacher, colleague and overall person!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tori,

    I concur. Times like these is when we know if this is all worth it. Sounds like it still is. Go get em

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totes agree. Tired, tired, tired. But, I've found that getting to "beat" everyone in the contest of who has the longest work day does have its rewards--usually in the form of a sympathetic friend who picks up the happy hour check, but I'll take what I can get! :)

    ReplyDelete