Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

iPads in Kindergarten

When I hear or read discussions about iPads in the classroom, teachers consistently talk about how they allow students to develop 21st century skills (critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity) through the vast amount of applications and knowledge that can be obtained using one of these devices.

My previous student teaching placement was in a fourth grade classroom at a school that was fortunate enough for all the students in grades 3-6 to have an iPad for themselves that they used when learning.  I learned a vast amount of knowledge about how to teach with iPads not only from my master teacher, but also the students.

However, now that I am in a Kindergarten class, the discussion about iPads being integrated into education seems almost non-existant.  Therefore, I did what any technological teacher in my shoes would do: I explored Twitter hash tags to see what others were saying about integrating iPads into a Kindergarten classroom.  Although my classroom does not have a one-to-one iPad ratio, I have read about numerous applications that can be utilized by working in groups (or one-on-one) and simply having one iPad.  These include applications to help foster deeper conceptual knowledge of mathematics, enhance handwriting, and promote key reading skills.  This information has made me feel hopeful about being able to integrate the iPad to foster deeper learning not only in my student teaching classroom, but also in my future classroom.

I am still looking at articles and exploring my Tweetdeck to see what else I can learn.  I'll be sure to keep you posted!

3 comments:

  1. Tori- this is so exciting! I love that you're taking your passion of technology and looking for ways to integrate it into your current classroom! We're picking up a small set of iPads today- maybe we can create a big buddy/little buddy activity with them! So many exciting things to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tori- You will have to write about the findings you come across and if you implement anything in your classroom this semester. I'm excited to hear your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I hear people say that children are "too young" for advanced technology, it makes me cringe. My parents gave me access to an old-school, non-user-friendly desktop computer when I was 3. I think the fact that they encouraged me to play with technology helped shape me into a person who is comfortable with the tools. My nephew is the same way. I know teenagers who don't play temple run as well as he does. His knowledge of the alphabet, phonics, and reading skyrocketed when I began letting him play educational games on my iPad. He was 18 months when that started. I hope that you can knock some sense into these people so that your students can start learning how to use the tools they will use in the future!

    ReplyDelete